Join Michigan’s premier curly hair salon & natural hair care brand and help us spread the word that healthy hair is beautiful hair! Original Moxie is an innovative leader in the natural and curly hair industry working to build understanding and acceptance of diverse textures. Our commitment to education means that all of our Stylists participate in an 88-hour, one-on-one intensive training program to become Certified Moisture Balancing™ Experts and Brand Educators. Because we recognize that learning never ends, we provide ongoing education and support our stylists in pursuing their own continuing education via online and in-person opportunities.
Our open and inclusive salon is an engaging and inspiring work environment. At Original Moxie, it’s never ‘just hair’. Through the training and experience you receive at our flagship salon, you will become a respected authority in the curly hair community. Our clients are transformed by the positive energy, in-depth information, and amazing results that they experience during a visit to our salon. This is not your average cut and color salon. We are seeking serious stylists committed to the art and science of healthy hair and who share our passion for empowering others to embrace their unique hair type.
As a valued member of our team, you will also enjoy:
- Paid time off
- Service commissions between 50 and 65% plus tips
- 10% product commission
- Hourly wages for administrative and Brand Educator duties
- Employee discount on product and services
- High demand for your services through our ongoing marketing and outreach efforts
- The opportunity to advance into leadership roles
- Non-toxic, healthy products and practices
- A flexible work schedule & dress code
- The opportunity to make your mark as part of our Artistic Team.
- Possession of a Michigan State Cosmetology License
- A demonstrated interest in and passion for natural hair care products and textured hair care
- Experience in a salon environment
- Dedication to our texture-positive and hair health approach
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong sales acumen; Independent problem solving skills
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse clientele;
- A high level of professionalism and time management skills
- Skill in working under time constraints to meet or exceed client expectations
- The ability to multi-task while maintaining a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to remain standing extended periods of time
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform in-depth client consultations and use this information to collaborate with the client to create a flattering style that works with their natural texture and curl pattern.
- Provide in-store customer service including assistance with product selection, independently perform hair assessments on customers and advise on product regimen.
- Guide customers in creating a holistic and comprehensive healthy hair plan which will include a mixture of products, treatment, and cut.
- Master and utilize the Moxie Method of cutting and styling textured hair.
- Master and utilize our ‘Texture Positive’ approach to cutting and styling straight and wavy hair.
- Perform formal and/or protective styles as needed.
- Provide restorative treatments to clients, including, but not limited to, scalp massage, detox treatments, etc.
- Processing, handling and recording all customer retail sales, exchanges, and returns as needed.
- Accurately log all promotions, waste and returns in a timely manner.
- Cleaning and maintenance of Salon workspace to maintain a hygienic and well-organized environment that is in compliance with State Board rules and regulations.
- Maintenance of shared and personal use tools, such as shears, to ensure that the highest possible level of service is provided to our clientele.
- Responsible and timely management of booking schedule to ensure that time off is requested in advance and communicated with other team members.
- Help to lead professional education workshops as needed.
- Participate in the product development process by testing and providing feedback on formulations and scents.
- As needed, assist with marketing events such as trade shows and community events.
- As needed, answer phones, assist walk-ins, and greet customers.
- Promotion of your creative work on social media and other channels to actively grow your clientele at Original Moxie.
A 30 – 40 hour workweek comprised of at least two weekday evenings, and full days on Fridays and Saturdays. Expanded flexibility is available to Stylists after one year of continuous employment. Our stylists and staff work as a close-knit team, so flexibility on hours will be needed to accommodate for variations in staffing and workflow.
The bulk of your earnings will consist of commission ranging from 50% to 65% depending on your bi-weekly sales. A commission rate of 10% on product sales will also be provided. Upon completion of our New Stylist Training Program, an hourly rate of $12.50/hr. is provided for administrative and sanitation work and $25/hr. for marketing and Brand Educator work
- Daily health screening and temperature checks completed daily by staff and clients
- Social distancing practices
- Enhanced sanitation practices
- Masks required for clients and staff
- HEPA Air Filtration
- COVID Task Force & written workplace guidelines